2018 FULL-TIME POLICE OFFICER HIRING ANNOUNCEMENT
Date: November 8, 2018
To: Full-Time Police Officer Applicants
From: Jeff Christopher, Chief of Police
Subject: Selection process for employment of Full-time police officer.
Must possess one of the following:
- New Jersey PTC certification for full-time police officer.
- New Jersey PTC certification for SLEO 2.
- Actively attending a PTC academy for full-time or SLEO 2.
- An Associate degree or sixty (60) credits from an accredited college with a major in Criminal justice / Law enforcement.
- Applicants must be 18 to 35 years of age.
- High School graduate (or equivalent)
- U.S. Citizen
- New Jersey Resident
- Able to perform all of the duties and responsibilities of a Police Officer.
The Avalon Police Department will advertise a job listing according to Standard Operating procedure. Applications are available online at www.avalonpolice.org, and should be mailed or delivered in person to the above address. Applications will be accepted from eligible candidates until the deadline of 12:01 A.M, November 30, 2018. Any application received from ineligible applicants or after the deadline will, without notice, be excluded from the hiring process. Eligible applicants will be notified how to proceed.
- Candidates will be subjected to a physical fitness test. A score of 70% (final average) must be achieved in order to proceed to the next phase. The top scoring 15 applicants will proceed to the next phase. More applicants may proceed to the next phase at the Chief’s discretion.
- Candidates will take an oral interview, then an oral examination, immediately following conducted by the Chief and Captain of Police.
- Candidates will be required to write an essay on a topic given at the time of the interview. A half hour will be given to write the essay. It will then be reviewed by the Chief and Captain and a score attained worth a maximum 10 points to be added to the final average.
Scoring: Each phase of the process will have the following weight:
Physical fitness test: 30%
Oral Interview 30%
Oral examination 30%
- A comprehensive and thorough review of the applicant’s background information will be conducted for any disqualifying factors.
- After scoring the aforementioned areas, a list will be generated and a candidate may be selected.
Phase 4. (If applicable)
- At the Chief’s discretion, a follow up interview may be conducted for the most desirable applicants prior to making a final decision.
- If a desirable candidate is not identified, more applicants may be interviewed from phase 2.
- The Avalon Police Department reserves the right to require updated medical, psychological, and background clearances if the Chief of Police deems it appropriate for the good of the Department and the Borough of Avalon.
- This list may remain active for two (2) years or less at the discretion of the Chief of Police.
Chief of Police